William and Sandra Bennett Clinical Scholars Program Application
The deadline to apply has been extended to Friday, December 10, 2021, at 2:00 p.m. EST.
The goal of the William and Sandra Bennett Clinical Scholars Program is to produce the next generation of clinician educators by supporting aspiring nephrology educators to conduct a project to advance all facets of nephrology education and teaching.
Program and Project Expectations
Applicants may submit a proposal that examines any aspect of nephrology education. Proposals may address aspects related to pre-doctoral or post-doctoral education. Projects should propose to generate new knowledge and should be expected to have an impact beyond the applicant's institution. Examples of proposed projects can include (but are not limited to) curricular reform, innovations in education, new education methods, evaluation of new assessment tools for competency-based learning and assessment, professional development, or professionalism. The proposed project must have appropriate metrics for evaluation, implementation, and dissemination. Grant recipients are expected to publish and disseminate project data at national meetings and credit KidneyCure for its support.
Additionally, recipients are encouraged to complete a formal (such as earning a master's degree in medical education) or semiformal (such as Stanford University School of Medicine's Faculty Development Program for Clinical Teaching) educational program during the KidneyCure funded years.
To apply for the William and Sandra Bennett Clinical Scholars Program, a candidate must:
- Hold an MD, DO, PhD, or the equivalent degree.
- Have completed the clinical portion of their training program by the time of award activation.
- Must be a full-time faculty member within seven (7) years of initial faculty appointment at the time of the award activation.
- Complete a project under the direction and mentorship of a qualified sponsor/mentor.
- Be a member of ASN at the time of the application. The sponsor of the candidate must also be an ASN member at the time of the application.
- Be working in North or Central America during the funding period.
- Commit a minimum of 25% time to the William and Sandra Bennett Clinical Scholars Program during the funding period. A statement of commitment must be provided by the Division Chief or Department Chair.
- Consider completing additional formal or semiformal educational training during the KidneyCure funded years.
An applicant who is uncertain of their eligibility should request an advisory opinion from KidneyCure before completing an application.
KidneyCure will accept extension requests for the seven-year eligibility window on a case-by-case basis. Applicants must submit supporting documentation for requests, which can include family care responsibilities, medical concerns, disability, natural disasters, and active-duty military service.
An automatic 12-month extension will be applied per childbirth during the initial faculty appointment. All parents, including those who adopt, are eligible for this particular extension.
To be submit an extension request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Funding and Stipulations
- The William and Sandra Bennett Clinical Scholars Program provides each recipient with $50,000 per year for up to two years. Funds cannot be used for indirect costs.
- A progress report and a financial report are required for non-competitive renewal of the grant for the second year. Final reports are also required at the end of the funding period. The award is for continuous support, and interruptions in the period of support will require prior written approval from KidneyCure.
- Recipients shall acknowledge KidneyCure's support in publications resulting from their proposed work.
- Grants may be transferred from one institution to another only with the prior approval of KidneyCure.
Please refer to the instructions before beginning your application. There are multiple parts to the application.
A complete application must contain the following documents:
- Contact information and project title
- Biosketch for both the applicant and mentor (using the NIH Biosketch template)
- Project Plan (using the KidneyCure-provided template)
- Letter of support from Department Head
- Three additional letters of support submitted blindly by each author (One letter must be from the designated mentor.)
To complete an application, an applicant must download the following documents by logging into the KidneyCure website:
- Instructions for completing a William and Sandra Bennett Clinical Scholars Program application
- Biosketch Template
- Project Plan Template (must be used in application)
The William and Sandra Bennett Clinical Scholars Grants Review Committee will consider the potential of the applicant to develop as a productive and independent educator and the proposed project's impact on advancing all facets of nephrology education and teaching.
Assessment will include the qualifications of the applicant with respect to prior training, the candidate's productivity and career goals, qualifications of the candidate's mentor and mentorship plan, and the merit of the proposed project. The institutional commitment to the development of the applicant as a clinician educator will also be assessed. Funding decisions will be distributed in May.
Please contact KidneyCure with any questions at 202-893-0008 or email@example.com.